Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Rare to Find Someone that Speaks Italian Here!



Ciao da Roma!

Well, things here are great. Rome is crazy! I had no idea what a big city was until I got here. There are foreigners everywhere, and we talk to people from all over the place every day. it is pretty incredible. We live right by a ghetto tram, that takes us to the main Train station in Rome, and every other place we need to get to. On average we spend MOST of our time on the metro, the bus, the Train, or the tram! Ha ha the work is completely a different story up here. We don't really do street, its actually nice because its a lot more natural to talk to people on a bus, or waiting for the tram, because your both already THERE. WE basically spend about double the time getting from appointment to appointment, because it is such a larger area, and we spend anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half making our way around the city.

Our Area is the South East chunk of Rome. We have the Colosseum in our area. It is a huge area. The ward is pretty small actually from what I thought it would be. About 60 active members, and TONS of less actives. We have been able to see only one of our investigators, whose name is Teresa. She is Peruvian, and is golden, except her husband wont let her get baptised. She speaks what is called Itagnolo (Spanish and Italian) It is terrible ha ha. i started reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish last week, its going well ha ha.

My companion is so sweet. She is from Pollock Pines California and is really really quiet. She is a year younger than me, she was home schooled... She is the 2nd oldest of 7 kids, and cant speak a lick of Italian ha ha its great though because it helps me to remember how powerful a simple testimony is! It seems like yesterday that that was me just getting here. She is super humble, and is really really great. We are doing good at Speaking Italian all day. It makes it hard for her, but I know how important that is in learning the language. It was awesome, her first full day here, we went out and did proselyting at the Colosseum, to get her thrown right in the world of being a missionary, and facing our fear of talking to people immediately! Ha ha on the way there, we started talking to this girl on the Metro. I looked up and realized that we were supposed to get off. This lady was super awesome so i started scrambling through my purse trying to find a pamphlet in Romanian. I managed to get it to her and escape off the metro, my companion on the other hand, got completely smashed in the door ha ha SO I was on the outside, pulling her arms, and trying to pry the door open, meanwhile people are totally just staring at us laughing I'm sure ha ha It was a good welcome to the mission for her. She got the pamphlet though!!! Woo!

Today for Pday we went to Saint Peter's Basilica and spent the day seeing the sights at St. Peter's Square. It was the most incredible thing I have ever seen. the statues are just enormous and there is so much history packed there that a few hours there weren't enough. We also went to another sweet plaza called Piazza di Spagna. Amazing P-days here..

Sorry my letters are gradually getting shorter and shorter, but I will fill you in on everything soon enough. I love love love being a missionary. We taught this amazing Romanian family we met this week, and were able to see them again last night. they don't speak a lot of Italian, but we have a new convert who is Romanian who is going to help us with teaching her. i just am so grateful for what I have learned on the mission. i am so glad that I now know who I am and who I want to continue to become. I have such a strong testimony that the hardest times in our lives are the times when we can be the closest to our Heavenly Father. He will lift us if we go to Him and are humble. I never want the mission to end!!! Training is just awesome and it helps me remember back as I share with her my experiences, of all the countless experiences I have had that have helped me to grow as a person. I know God lives and he has an intricate role in our lives- He loves us, and gives us opportunities to recognize him every day. We have evident truth of his love through the Restoration of his Priesthood. the church is true!!! How could it not be!!!!?????? I love you all and pray for you often! But to be honest, I don't think of you that much! ha ha I only have a few more weeks to give my whole heart might and strength to this work!! No time to loose!

Vi voglio un mondo di bene!

MONICA

...Sorella Miller





No comments:

Post a Comment