Ciao Famiglia,
Well we get transfer calls tomorrow. Whether or not I go or stay, I'm of course willing to do whatever .
I will give you all a little inside to the Sicilian culture here. Yesterday we were coming back from an appointment, and we see all these people standing outside, looking up to a balcony above. We soon see, a refridgerator, balancing on the rail of the balcony, and see that they are about to "discard" this old fridge. We're talking 3 stories. They are going to PUSH this fridge off the balcony. About 10 seconds later, they push, and BOOM, this fridge comes crashing down 3 stories. Why call someone to move it, or hurt your back trying to move it, when you could just drop it off your balcony for free!? Yeah. haha This, and blown up cars are a common sighting here in Sicily.
A lot of times in the mornings you see little trucks driving around with a blow horn or some type of siren, around the apartments. People come out who dont want to leave their house, and throw a basket with a rope tied to it over their balcony. They tell the little guy what they want, he fills up their basket with some nice friuts and veggies, then they pull that basket right up and start cooking. Sicily. Beautiful. Who needs a grocery store when you have the joy of getting it brought right to you in a wicker basket? I love these people!!! haha
We were able to go to the Blanco's house last Sunday, and do an awesome lesson with the 4 girls, and wife. Its hard to do lessons with them, because there are SO many different needs, and hard to keep the lesson focused. Last time we initially started off talking about The Atonement, then we got off on Prophets, Baptism, The Holy Ghost, The Sacrament, and a little bit about Temples. It was intense. But the family is amazing. I see them all one day getting baptized. We also finally met their son, who was the only other member of the family who got baptised with the Dad, he was only 7 or 8. Now he's 18. We came to the door he quickly threw out his cigarette. Its never too late to change. All I know is I feel so much love for them whenever I go there. I just want them to have the blessings available to them. Thats all.
We waited for Rosa outside at church, and she didn't come. Then we had an appointment with her yesterday and she wasn't there. I'm not sure whats going on. The last lesson was on tithing, and it wasn't the best, but she still wanted to keep learning. We'll see.
We got a call from Concitta a few days ago, who is still in Calabria. she got the job, and will not be coming back to Siracusa until the end of the summer. One day! We also had an investigator who left for a 10 day trip to Germany with her son. She told us she would pray about Joseph Smith while she was gone. The summer has definitely initiated, and the work seems to be slowing down a bit. We are doing our best to work hard and do all we can.
We had a ward activity the other night where everyone had to bring some sort of food. We decided to prepare some good ole sloppy JOES. Then they had a taste test. You better believe we won!!!!!!! Hahaha. It was great. We won a little book with many of the members testimonies written in it. It was pretty sweet.
Its getting SUPER hot lately. Im starting to look like I serve on an island. I love you all, and am so grateful for your love and support. I will be sure to update you next week on the changes that take place this week. This Thursday will be our last English Course of the season, then we take a break and re-start in September. Many people leave in the summer time for their houses on the sea, so its not a good use of time to continue English classes in the summer.
The mission is the most eye-opening experience Ive had in my life. WE had a day this week, where it seemed like every single appointment that we had, was with someone in terrible circomstances. Their husbands were abusive, their kids were going to be taken away from them, their husband is sick in bed and in need of constant care, they have people taking advantage of them!. It was one of those days and I realized how blessed I truly am every day. When we are blessed with so much, we are required to give of ourselves that much more. May we all give a little bit more of ourselves, to someone else who needs a hand. Un abbraccio, vi voglio tanto tanto bene.
MONICA
...sorella Miller
.

Sister Miller, I just wanted to say thank you for posting these letters. I have not read one entry that did not bring me to tears. Monica is the most fantastic girl, and I am so honored to know her. Thank you for raising a righteous, valient, faithful ambassador of the Lord. I can't wait to see her again!
ReplyDelete