Ciao Tutti!
Well, another week has passed, and we are now almost halfway through another transfer! The work here in Ragusa is going forward. Right now there is a man in this internet point trying to convince everyone that Obama is his Father...You come across some Very interesting people here. ha. Anyways.
I had several experiences this week that reminded me that I am part of something much bigger than myself. On Monday night, I had one of the most awesome nights of my mission. We went to Ibla, and had 3 hours to just do finding work. Aka..just talking to people, which sometimes can be the most brutal hours ever haha. This night was different. We had set some goals that we wanted to be BOLD missionaries. We had been talking about how we dont want to go home with regrets about not INVITING PEOPLE to ACT. I am so grateful for the Spirit that truly guides us when we are worthy of it.
We went to Ibla and just started talking to everyone. We were able to have such a cool experience with two college kids on a park bench named Alessio and Martina. We were able to talk to them BOLDLY about the Book of Mormon. We were able to talk to them for a while, and they actually were interested and asking questions. This experience was amazing, because Alessio, the guy (who is 23) was really interested, and he told us that he would pray about what we had taught him. We were a little bit worried about his girlfriend who was sitting there and telling him that he didn't really need anything else, but you could see his sincere desire to know if this book really did come from God.
We were blessed with another 4 other lessons that night, all of them were strong powerful lessons on The Book of Mormon, and how it really does bring us closer to God. We gave away 3 Books of Mormon that night. The highlight of the night, was on the way home. It takes about 20 minutes of climbing this old rustic cobblestone staircase, to get from Ibla, the old city, up to Ragusa. This staircase is pretty intense. By the time you get up these stairs, it's about another 30 minute climb up Corso Italia (the main street here) up to our apartment. We were running up this staircase trying to make it home on time. We got to the top of these stairs and were about ready to throw up, when we see this cute couple sitting at the top of the Stairs looking out over Ibla (ps. not jealous, never makes my heart hurt even a LITTLe.. haha) so we run past them up the street. Then we both got the feeling we should talk to them. We headed back down a few yards towards them and introduced ourselves. We started talking about how God loves us, and unfortunately many things have been changed from Christ's original church, and there is confusion in the world. They looked at each other, and had this look of astonishment on their faces. They told us they had JUST been talking about how confused they were, and how there is just TOO much confusion out there. I know God puts people in our path when we just strive to do our very best. We taught them about how God has called another Prophet, and how we can now see tangible evidence of this through the Book of Mormon. They were Italian too!!!!!!!!! WHAAAAATTTTTT!?!?!? Haha. This is a rare occasion!!!!
I felt soo happy that night. We got home, and were both sweating, but we felt so good. It feels so good to work hard. I am so tired at the end of each day, but on the days when I really feel the spirit work through me, it is always so worth it.
Of course the very next day after that night of miracles, we had a horrible encounter. We were doing some tracting on Tuesday, and a lady approached us on the street. She said "I know who you are! You young girls have been deceived!!!" Over and over again. She was YELLING at us. I prayed silently to have charity for this woman. HAha it is the hardest thing in the world sometimes to love your enemies. At least she said she would pray for us (it was because we have been "deceived by the Book of lies") but I need all the prayers I can get in my behalf.
We are teaching an amazing Romanian family. A mom and her two kids . They have a lot of problems, and at first I was pretty creeped out by her son, who seemed really sketchy, but in the last lesson we did with them he said the closing prayer. Adela, said the other prayer. They told us they would pray about the Book of Mormon. It took us a few days to locate a BOM in Romanian, and she was so excited when we finally got it to her, she couldn't wait to start reading it. I love asking people how they feel in the middle of lessons where I know they feel the spirit, and hearing them say they feel "peace." That is a fruit of the spirit!!!!!!!
We also had another really cool experience the other day in Ibla with a really stubborn Sicilian man. Picture a shorter, slightly overweight man, with long grey stringy hair. Whenever he sees us he yells at us "Who created God!!?? Tell me that!!!!!" We were able to have a sweet experience with him teaching him about prayer. Usually we don't get in a word, but this time, for the first time in my mission, he literally could not speak, and we were able to both bare our testimonies of the reality of God. He has never been quiet for more than 10 seconds, and this was an experience I will never forget. You could see a light come into his eyes, and he listened to us bare our testimonies. After we finished, he couldn't respond, he just answered our question "will you pray to night and ask God if he really exists?" with, "yes, I will". it was pretty sweet. Romans 10:9. I know that scripture is true. One of the coolest moments, is seeing when people feel the spirit, by the light that comes into their eyes.
I love the book of Mormon and have such a strong testimony of its truthfulness. It truly does come from God, and comes to us through the power of God. I love being a missionary. that night we taught all those lessons in Ibla, I came home, and thought how lucky I am to wear this tag. Its such a blessing. I'm scared to death all the time, and never know what Im doing, but I guess thats why I was called. The Lord knows us individually, and gives us weaknesses in order to teach us humility. I have never had more need to repent than now, or maybe I just never fully understood how imperfect I was until now. I dont fully understand the Atonement, I only know its for me, and it is the only thing that gives me peace and happiness when I make mistakes.
I love you all so much, and feel your prayers. Never go a day without thanking God for the chance to be alive, and have another chance to improve, and try to be more like His son Jesus Christ. I know this Gospel is true. there IS such thing as a God who is individual and personal. I hope you all strive to know him better each day.
Un abbraccio,
MONICA ps. Dad, Thank you so much for that testimony of me being exactly where I am supposed to be. I truly did feel the Spirit testify to me as I read those words. It brought me to tears.
pps. Send pics of the lil Berkeley when she gets here!

No comments:
Post a Comment