Wednesday, December 15, 2010

December 15, 2010



Dear Famiglia,

I am really excited for Natale here in a week or so, the time honestly goes faster and faster every week!! I am not going to lie this week was a hard week. We were supposed to have Giacomo's baptism on Sunday,but it didn't happen. We were all prepared Saturday for the font, the programs, the talks etc. then sunday at church we unexpectedly heard the Bishop announce that we would now have a testimony ....I was translating and all of a sudden I had a hard time understanding what was being said, because I had no idea what he was about to say. So with (the bishop at his side) he explained to everyone how "today I was supposed to get baptised, but last night I had a dream. In this dream I saw a big white door in the clouds. I tried to open the door, and then I couldn't open it. I took this as a sign that I need to wait longer to get Baptised. I hope the Sisters will forgive me, and I pray to continue forward in this church, because I feel like someone else, since they have started teaching me and my family. In the name of Jesus Christ amen."

He had a lot of faith to get up there and say all that. At the time it was really hard, because we weren't exactly sure, but mainly we came to the conclusion that we would love to be able to have a baptism of ALL of the famiglia on the same day, because that would be a lot easier for all of them to stay strong. Sometimes, no, a lot of times, I feel really inadequate. Sunday, I had a bit of a breakdown after church, where I just felt no desire to continue to figure out how to help solve so many problems that are so over my head! Haha For a minute I just wished that this wasn't my responsibility anymore!! Sometimes its just so hard to keep thinking and coming up with ways to help with problems that I have never faced! But, I know that is why the Lord calls us, because there requires a lot of humility in being a missionary!!! WE will have an appointment with them tonight, and hope to be able start back at the basics, and help them strengthen their testimonies.

This week is has been FREEZINNNGGG. It snowed today!! We woke up to snow on all the rooftops, then we went to a city called Matera. It was sweet. Its apparently where they filmed the Movie "The Passion" It was really cool.

We did a lot of house this week. Usually when we do house, we ring the intercom, and try to see if someone will just open the bottom door, so we can get in and go door to door. Its a lot more effective to be able to see people face to face, than just talk on the intercom with them. We got in this apartment, and made our way to the top floor to start knocking, then make our way to the bottom. Every floor, next to each door bell there were stickers up saying "If you are a Jehovah's witness, Go away! Do not knock!! We are Catholic! Maria bless this home." This wasn't the first time that I have ever seen these stickers, nor was it the first time that I have seen these stickers and we went right on ahead and knocked on the door! ha ha usually my companions like to skip them, but I like these experiences because they are always more interesting. So EVERY DOOR so far in this apartment had a sticker next to the doors. So we get to the third floor, (after the top two floors all telling us to go away) and we get a man at the door to listen to us for like 15 minutes! That doesn't happen very often! It was a sweet little reminder to not let our fears of men over come our duty to open our mouths and share the word! We had two awesome experiences in that apartment complex one right after the other, Both in houses with the "Jehovah's witnesses go away" stickers on the door. ha ha

I am trying to be more creative in my approaches lately. After zone conference on Friday with Elder Causse and Donaldson, I felt inspired and ready to go find all the elects that are here. We did the Mostra the other day and I brought with me that gospel art book. I love teaching wtih that book. I just walked up to people and right away showed them the picture of Joseph smith in the grove with the vision. I would say something along the lines of "I want to tell you the story of this boy who was really confused about which church to join, have you ever asked yourself which of all these churches is true?" It was a cool experiment and I have to say it proved to be effective. A lot of times we waste time introducing ourselves, "asking for a minute of time" etc, when people these days are in such a hurry that they have to hear truth right away, because if they are ready to hear it, they will. A constant reminder. Being a missionary is MUCH different that the missionary work I will do when I get back. We have very little time to get people's attention, it has to be like 1 minute or less in which they feel the spirit. With our friends we can take things with calm, but for us its our call to teach WHEN we find, and FIND when we teach. its a strange, UN-natural thing ha ha but its beautiful.

The lights have started up now and its a beautiful city here under Christmas. WE supposedly will be doing a few days a month in another city called Bitonto about a 20 minute train ride from Bari. I will probably only do it once or twice since I only have a little time left here, but the members there really want sisters, so we will do something like 2 days a month there (one of those days being a Sunday) teaching women investigators etc, and helping wtih member missionary work. We are yet to hear more details about when we start this new stuff. We'll see.

Last week we did a lesson with an investigator named Mariella. We were with another family in our ward at this lesson. It was a little difficult to teach. You know that werewolf from Twilight? her 14 year old daughter is obsessed with him and so we were teaching a lesson and trying to testify of Joseph Smith came difficulty with this Jacob black starring at me from every angle. Anyways, kinda funny.

I'm really excited to talk to you all soon. I love the gospel and know it is true with all of my heart! I love each and every one of you and hope this letter finds you well.

Tante belle cose,

MONICA

...Sorella Miller




No comments:

Post a Comment