Subject: rain rain rain
Ciao Tutti :)
This week it seems like we did something to scare away all of our investigators! It is probably hard for you all to imagine that the rain has such an intense effect on our work here, but it really does do some damage! I had said last week how we ran into Fabiana on the way to English course, and we were able to set an appointment with her. Well, we also had arrainged for a recent convert of about 3 years ago named Vanessa Tibulo to come with us to the lesson and we were way excited. Then Saturday night came, and neither of them showed up. Pretty Dissappointing. Well, every time we get rejected, I am able to experience a FRACTION of what The Savior's life was like. His entire life was these small experiences I have every day, times a million. I have come to appreciate The Atonement so much more as I have these struggles every day. I am grateful for his Sacrifice. His life was NEVER easy, why should we expect ours to be that way?? I have such a testimony that the best things are the hardest.
I am grateful for my weaknesses, because it gives me an opportunity to improve. It is for sure humbling, but it's absolutely necessary. At the end of the day each day, I really try to humbly and prayerfully aknowledge my billions of weaknesses, and pray for teh faith and strength to improve. I challenge you all to do the same. Be honest with yourselves. Life is not a competition with other people, its just such a process. You come to see on the mssion, that it's not ok to ever think we have done enough. If we aren't moving forward, we are surely drifting backwards. I'm learning to focus on the things I have control over, and not waste time stressing so much over the things that I DON'T have control over. We all have control over our thoughts, and ultimately the actions that come from those thoughts. I have control over the way I look at people, the vibe, If you will, that I give to people. The attitude I have, when everything seems to be horrible.
I have now officially turned into a "Nun on a Bike" WOOOO! Let me tell you, its HOTT!!! Dude, haha it is amazing having a bike!!! We used to spend 45 minutes walking to an appointment where we got stood up...Now we are able to get there in 10 minutes (looking fresh the whole way there I might add)...and do house in that area, with time to spare! Talk about efficiency!! It is the ultimate missionary experience. In fact, let me recount a story we had jus last night. We took out the Bici, and about two minutes later, it started POURRRRING. Haha we had an appointment that was like forever away, and there was just no turning back. Sicily doesnt have the best drainage systems I've ever seen, and so we ended up riding through flooded streets, with many people yelling at us to go inside because we were going to DIE basically. (keep in mind these people are INCREDIBLY supertitious).
This week we were invited to come to the ward council meeting, where we were given 5 new names of less active members. I feel that eventhouhg it is super hard to get investigators here to progress, I have been able to see at least one woman come back to the church after years of in-activity. I know that The Lord is just as thrilled to see one of his lost sheeo come back into the fold, as he is to see new ones come in. When I first got here to Siracusa she hadnt been to church in quite some time. We have been diligently working with Sorella Troja for about 3 months, and the last 3 weeks she has been in church for all 3 hours. It is beautiful to see how she has re-didscovered her testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. She is know doing missionary work herself. I know this work is very important too. We should all reach out to those who for one reason or another are wandering. We can have an impact on these people. WE have to just always seek out opportunities to give of ourselves. Not just because we "should" But because we are talking about covenants that we have made with God. It is a big deal. When we really understand this principle, it becomes like Alma when he just cant stand the thought of any soul not hearing the truth...something like that haha I dont remember exactly, but you get it.
A guy named Ebineezer from Ghana will be baptized tomorrow. The Anziani have been teaching him. It is incredible how many people from Africa are joining the church. WE are basically in Africa here in Sicily, and so we see A LOT of immigrants who come looking for work. Ebineezer has been here for about 3 months, left his family ot find work, and is stilll without a job. I dont really know why people come here, because there are no jobs here either! We do translations at church for all the people from Africa, because most of them dont speak ITalian, just English. It makes a difficult integration into the BRanch for them. Haha Me and Sorellla Morgan will be doing a "Special" musical number at the baptism. As all of you know I am qiute a gifted singer...HAHA! OBVIOUSLY the branch is lacking musical ability if I am being asked to share my singing voice at such a treasured event as a Baptism!!!!
We had an AMAZING lesson with Massimo Italia this week with the Grasso family. It was seriously so cool, the spirit was so strong. We were sooooo excited after that lesson, SURE that he was going to call us the next day and ask us where the font was, but unfortunately we have not been able to get ahold of him this week, and he didnt come to English course....I dont know what happened. We will continue to pray for him anyways.
CHARLOTTE/MARK/CREW: Sounds as if the family is just growing and doing well! I would love to see pics of the lil' Bobby asap! How is he doing? Char how are you recovering from prego-ness?? I would love to hear stories from your mission Char, it would make my week!
BROCK/AMY/DEAGY BUM: How is the new job going? Wow, I am so sorry to hear about the incident with Brimmy and Blitzley and Raegan, that is so sad. I am sure that was such a hard decision, I hope that everything can work out for the best. I cried when I read that. I'm so sorry, but I'm sure you guys really thought about the decision, and did what was best. Brock, thank you so much for your e-mails. I have made it a point to talk to groups of young people, especially the ones that look at me and then whisper and laugh to their friends. I especially love the ones that yell "EE LOWVEH UU" (I love you, yelled in an Italian accent). And are you kidding me, of course I make is an absolute point to make a fool out of myself each day!!!! Haha no but really, I treasure your letters, I can tell you were an incredible missionary, I strive to be what you were, I'm sure. Thank you so much, kepp them coming whenever you have time. Im sorry I havnt individually responded, or even thanked you!!! Im sorry!I love you guys.
BECC/BRENT/ELL-BELL/PIP/EMMY: Rebecca that was pretty incredible. I totally agree with everything that was said. It makes me so sad to see so many people tell us each day that they don't have "time" to pray, go to church, or talk about these things. We really are so fortunate to have the Restored gospel, and IT IS THE ONLY true church on the earth. OF course we teach that! Your exactly right, why would there be any need for a restoration if all the churches were true. But they all only have a LITTLE bit of truth to them--and none have the AUTHORITY of the Priesthood.
DER: Got that letter from you guys this week. THANK YOU!! I lovedd getting that, definitely a highlight. Especially Chase's part written in Mad-Lib style. I heard some little FIAT blasting that super abnoxious song "CAll on meeeee, call on me, call on meeeeeee call on mee" the other night. I was singing it for the next like two days trying to remember where I had heard that song, then I realized it was that YouTube video of Chase I remember watching, with his mullet, doing some strange dance video or something, hahaha I laughed so hard, but was so happy to finally figure that out haha. But for reals, Im glad to hear you are doing well, love you big bwudder.
BRIMMY: GET WELL SOON BUDDY!!!! I CRIED SO HARD; but Im so glad the little champ is doing alright.
I love you all so much. This week in English course i was explaining "Contractions" like for example I'm, We're etc, and I said the wrong word, meaning Contractions when you are in labor, having a child, they all got a good little lauhg out of that! Hahaha but no, its all good, they love me and I love them so it all works out! Its been raining A TON this week, today was the first day the sun came out. We got sad news that our new mission presidents wife will not be allowing us to wear sandals when we become part of the Rome mission in July. BOO. oh well, ill live. I hope you all are doing well, Pray, read the scriptures, serve, trust in The Lord.
Tante Belle Cose,
-Sorella Miller

No comments:
Post a Comment